7/24/2009

Dueling Fandoms

I've been enjoying Wednesday Comics so far, but it's never even occurred to me that this project would appeal to casual readers. Both the genre overwhelmingly represented and the format used are more likely to either attract DC's traditional fan base or dilettantes like me. If the series does pick-up new readers, then I have the same question as I did for Marvel Divas: Where are they supposed to go to next? Just like its Marvel counterpart, Wednesday Comics adapts an unorthodox approach to old and familiar characters. But it's so different from DC's corporate shared universe that I can't imagine many new readers who liked it sticking around to become full-time DC fans.

While I can't make it to Comic Con, I would like to be there if only just to witness the feared showdown between Twilight fans and traditional comic book fans. As far as I'm concerned, the Brigid Alverson hosted roundtable was preaching to the choir - the fanboys are overreacting to the perceived invasion of their hallowed grounds by hordes of screaming fangirls. Still I couldn't help noting a bit of defensiveness among the participants when the topic of shojo manga readership was brought up. Now in no way are those two reactions morally equivalent. God knows that manga fans and especially female comics book fans have had to put up with plenty of bullshit from the industry through the years. And they continue to do so. I'm just saying that fans sometimes feel the impulse to be a tad overprotective when someone expresses a disinterest in their beloved pastime. Lecturing doesn't help when done in that tone.