1/08/2009

Tablet Needs: Modbook Pro

As one of the minority who relies on tablet computing, I keep hoping that my favorite notebook manufacturer will announce one at some point. A 17-inch laptop is nice, and a more realistic product. But aside from the fact that it's not a tablet, it's a little too large for my needs. The Cintiq satisfactorily fulfills the role of a tablet, but carrying two devices isn't a very portable solution. So the closest thing to an ideal form factor is this latest product from Axiotron:

Modbook Pro

It's very expensive, and won't come out till this summer. There probably will be changes before the design is finalized. But the base model is an improvement from the previous 13-inch offering. The simultaneous pen and touch input, and the ability to flip between horizontal and vertical orientation, are pretty interesting. I need to know how responsive the interface will be before I can consider replacing my beloved Wacom.

The number of potential customers for a tablet computer is still too low to mass produce one. But companies like Axiotron are doing the advanced research needed to develop the technology to the point where it becomes mature enough to be widely adapted, negating the demand for pricey modifications.

What else do I need? More external drive space for my growing photo library.