10/27/2008

Film Nostalgia

My move from film-based to digital photography was not a pain-free one. Of course this would be true for any experienced photographer. Film and digital are different mediums. While they share some similarities, and in theory accomplish basically the same thing inside a camera body, their respective behaviors are different enough that the photographer has to learn a new set of rules for exposure and image processing. And then there's the need to become acquainted with digital technology itself, from PCs to RAW Image software. I'm no luddite, and I've been using PCs since forever. But trying to master digital photography forced me to learn more about how to use Adobe Photoshop than all the time spent dicking around with it in art school.

Nikon FM3A SLR After four years trying to figure this all out, I'm not convinced my digital photos are any better than my film-based photos. Part of the reason for this is that my transition to digital also marked a move into color photography. Up to that time, more than ninety percent of my photographs were taken with black and white film. I didn't have a lot of interest in shooting in color. But with the purchase of my first DSLR, I felt the time was right to dive into color photography. It was an opportunity to grow. I don't think I'm quite as accomplished with color as I am with black and white, and I've recently found myself missing the peculiar tonal qualities of Tri-X, HP5, and Neopan 1600.

None of this should be taken as sign to return to film, but as an indication of how much I still have to learn. I've recently updated all of my digital equipment, except for my computer, which makes working with 12 megapixel images something of a problem. Images shot since October on my photoblog are all on the new body. I'll be shooting digital for the foreseeable future.

What seems to have prompted my sudden desire to do a bit of film shooting were online discussions of a retro DSLR. I don't expect this to be manufactured anytime soon, but what I really want is a nice retro film body - one that doesn't require batteries to operate. I regret never purchasing the Nikon FM2 or FM3 when they were still being produced, and would love to acquire either one of these bodies as backup for occasional film shooting.

I have this sketchpad in my room which is still relatively brand new as I haven't touched it in over a year. Where did my motivation go?

That's enough personal digression for now.